úterý 7. února 2012

Sorry, unavailable at the moment, please try again later.

I left the house with two things on my shopping list - 1) a hat because of the freezing temperatures and because of my general lack of hats, scarfs and gloves, and 2) eggs. I tried several stores, but as it seems, they are out of hats and winter accessories as such. The only hat they had in one of the stores was made of fake fur, which was a no-go. I found a few scarfs though, so maybe the headscarf idea deserves to be revisited, even though one is punished with weird are-you-a-terrorist-or-aren´t-you looks.
What puzzled me was that when I got to Tesco (at Anděl) they were out of eggs. Half the aisle with shelves completely empty.. Not the half-a-dozen carton, not the dozen carton, not ten-egg carton, no thirty-egg carton(I was desperate).. Reminded me of the stories about communism. How you got to a store and they just didn´t have this or they didn´t have that. It was impossible to buy the things you wanted because they were simply not available (if you were lucky, it wasn´t the toilet paper).
Growing up in a world when you can buy anything, anywhere, anytime, if or when you have the money, I am confused when something like this happens. When they don´t have winter clothes, because January and February are the months of sales and new collection includes only spring/summer clothes. Or when Tesco has trouble with their suppliers (probably to their understandable objections to the unfair terms that Tesco forces on them) and they just don´t deliver the goods. I know that these are all temporary "glitches" in the system, or I hope so, but I found today that the possibility of things being unavailable had not even occured to me. Should I be bothered by that?

2 komentáře:

Unknown řekl(a)...

I have recently tried to purchase a pair of gloves and the situation was pretty much the same. Last pair, sale of the few remaining odd pieces, and so on. I probably just don't understand the business model that does not offer warm winter clothes in the middle of a rare cold spell.

Also, here are some shots from Interspar this January:

https://plus.google.com/photos/116419860753824827882/albums/5703524043006320145?authkey=CJr1gof60JbwrwE

Yes, she is putting in new eggs. After three days of no eggs, though :-) I know, some first-world problems are tough.

K řekl(a)...

I don´t understand it either. Boy was I wrong thinking that living in capitalism means that everything is available whenever I need it.