čtvrtek 15. března 2012

Mum, dad, I think I might be ... introverted.

What?! How is that possible? Did we not raise you well? Have we made a mistake somewhere?
... is what my parents could have said, had I come out of the closet. Well, they probably would not, since my mother is definitely introverted and my brother as well. The only really extroverted person in our family is my father.
But recently there has been a growing number of articles/lectures/books being written/given/published about introversion as a phenomenon that is looked down upon in our society, which made me think more about the issue.
Examples being here and here.
Not being sure where I belong on the extrovert-introvert spectrum I did the natural thing (being a woman and all..) - I googled a test. Well, to be precise I googled tests. Did a few with results raging from "neither introverted nor extroverted" (and thank you, I am not in the later half of my life, at least I hope so) too slightly introverted. (Interesting personality test is here, however extroversion/introversion is not the primary focus.)
The weirdest part for me is that I used to think that I was really extroverted until few years back. With age comes wisdom:-) so I started to realize that I often behave like a typical introvert and that my perception of myself is not correct. So why did I even assume that I was an extrovert in the first place?
Could it really be that the society perceives extroversion to be the normal thing and introversion as a weird deviation?
I don´t believe so. Growing up with extreme introverts my scale was probably a little off. Plus I always had trouble realizing how I am percieved by others and assumed that everyone just sees straight into my head, that there is no barrier between me and my thoughts and the outer world (weird and illogical as it may sound).
But when thinking about how workplaces are set up - yes, extroversion is definitely preferred. Not much that can be done about it, or is there a way?

Žádné komentáře: