neděle 13. ledna 2013

People (and especially people I know) like to think that they are different than the rest. They have their unique way of thinking, their own opinions, conclusions, behaviour.. Yet from time to time, there are moments when a majority reacts in the same way with the same sentiment. It always scares me a little bit. Even those that are proud to be independent individuals become a crowd and reconfirm their opinion through the same sentiments around them. Don't get me wrong, I am probably no different. The question on my mind is: isn't it just our pride that makes us think that we are independent brainiacs, when in reality we are just a herd of sheep that has seen a wolf and we all instinctively run in the opposite direction?

1 komentář:

Michal řekl(a)...

My short, instinctive sort of answer is: Why should I be afraid to be in a crowd that I lead?

A more complex answer is this: The trick doesn't lie in being unique, but in being authentic. As an honest man, I'm not afraid to swim against the current when I think that the majority is wrong on something (for example: most people still refuse to acknowledge that the best policy on drugs is to legalize them all; yet there is little doubt that history will prove me right eventually, so I keep on arguing this point despite being denounced or riddiculed for it).

Precisely for the same reason (being honest and authentic), I'm not afraid to swim with the current from time to time. And while I agree that it is good to exercise certain caution, I think that asking - "Isn't it strange that I agree with most people on this?" - is the wrong way to look at it. I always ask myself "Ain't it interesting that everybody agrees with me?" :-)