neděle 29. května 2011

Morality in health care

The health care system in the Czech republic is deeply flawed - everybody is trying to get preferential treatment based on either who they know or even worse by bribery. I have never been able to do or tolerate either. Yes, I wouldn´t know how to bribe anyone, but I also don´t think that that is the way the system should work. It should distribute health care based on who needs it the most. (Yes, there should be the option to pay for higher quality materials or more complicated and expensive surgeries that are not paid for by health insurance, but you should not be able to threaten someone´s life or well being by getting ahead of them in the queue just because you know someone in the hospital).
The problem is that when somebody you love needs a surgery, the persuation goes to hell and the black-and-white world suddenly seems to turn into all shades of grey. Many people(myself included) would do anything to get their loved ones the best care they can get. It might be the reason why the system is not working, but doing your best to protect your family and friends is inevitably a part of human nature. As long as doctors and hospitals are willing to tolerate this corruption, nothing is going to change.
Having one member of my family in the hospital right now and another going there in a few days time I should be happy about the status quo(my family has a few doctor friends) and I am. It´s just that it seems like I failed at the same time.

Žádné komentáře: